- How will these STEM tools improve engagement in my classroom?
AVID STEM Academy offers students the chance to see the world through the lens of a STEM mindset as they communicate new ideas, think critically about real-world problems and concepts, and collaborate with peers to generate new, creative and innovative solutions that are tied to content.
- Will these STEM lessons help me meet standards set by my district and state?
Each lesson found within AVID STEM Academy will clearly denote the standards that correspond to the lesson content. Standards come from a common list of national standards, including CCSS, NGSS, and ISTE.
- How will this STEM learning help me better organize my classroom instruction?
AVID STEM Academy is targeted to match up with concepts and skills that are currently being taught in classrooms across the United States. Students will be exposed to new resources and strategies while applying the knowledge and skills gained in traditional classroom instruction in new, application-based ways.
- How will this STEM learning help introduce my students to future-ready skills?
The future-ready skills are embedded throughout the K–8 AVID STEM Academy within each lesson and mini-lesson.
- Can this STEM learning help me build a more collaborative classroom?
There are many opportunities for collaboration within each lesson. The lessons provide specific strategies educators can use in a face-to-face, virtual, or hybrid classroom with recommendations on digital tools that can be integrated to bring these strategies to life online.
- I’m a social studies teacher. How does STEM apply to me?
The article, 4 Educators’ Keys to Connecting STEM and Social Studies, addresses how STEM applies to social studies classrooms.
- I’m a language arts teacher. How does STEM apply to me?
Students will hone their skills in Claims, Evidence, and Reasoning while assisting with reading comprehension skills, including the ability to understand charts, graphs, and infographics. In addition, students will learn how to apply problem-solving strategies to writing research papers and practice their writing skills across multiple modalities.