Math and Science
AVID’s Math and Science Summer Bridge programs offer high-engagement math and science content designed to accelerate learning by enhancing students’ critical thinking, reasoning, and problem-solving skills through interactive and collaborative lessons and activities.
Each Program Features:
- Comprehensive teacher curriculum guides
- On-demand training modules for teachers and handouts for students available on AVID’s eLearning platform
- Interactive and collaborative lessons and activities
- Implementation and curriculum support via online and phone exchanges
- High-engagement content with a WICOR® (writing, inquiry, collaboration, organization, and reading) emphasis: focused note-taking, writing and vocabulary activities, and team-building
- Academic language and literacy support
- Curriculum for 60 hours of student contact time (15 units of 4 hours each)
We have exciting news for the 2023 season! Our Math for 7th Grade and Algebra Readiness math programs have been updated!
- Both programs now utilize Focused Note-Taking as a core instructional strategy and have been enhanced with blended learning opportunities.
- ⭐ Curriculum books, student INBs, and support materials have been updated so all partners should purchase the updated resources for an optimal experience.
- Curriculum and student interactive notebooks purchased prior to summer of 2023, will no longer be in alignment with updated support materials.
Open to AVID partner districts
for the first math or science program
for each additional math or science program
Required teacher curriculum guide set: $99 for new Summer Bridge teachers or per additional set for returning teachers as needed. A copy of the student interactive notebook is included
Required student interactive notebooks: $25 each or a set of 10 for $199 (can be purchased from AVID or printed locally)
*Please note that a 10% S&H fee will be added to the total cost of all printed materials.
Email [email protected] for more information about this offering.
Algebra Readiness strengthens students’ understanding of fundamental math and algebraic concepts to provide a solid foundation for success in Algebra 1.
The Algebra Readiness Summer Bridge Program is all about students: students learning math, growing in problem-solving and critical-thinking abilities, having fun, growing in confidence about their math abilities, and participating in a positive learning environment. Algebra Readiness is a program of intensive math content and support activities, which teach eighth-grade and algebraic concepts in order to prepare students for Algebra 1. It can also be used to strengthen students’ knowledge and skills prior to, or after, the eighth-grade math classes. The program also incorporates strategies to help English language learner (ELL) students accelerate the development of academic English skills that they need to succeed in math courses.
Math for 7th Grade
The content focus areas include rational number operations and concepts, algebraic expressions and equations, proportionality, and measurement.
The Math for 7th Grade Summer Bridge Program provides students with fun and engaging opportunities to learn math and grow in their problem-solving and critical-thinking abilities. This exciting program builds student confidence in math through participation in a positive learning environment. Math for 7th Grade is a program of intensive math content and support activities that teach seventh-grade concepts to prepare students for seventh-grade advanced math courses. It can also be used to strengthen students’ knowledge and skills prior to, or after, the seventh-grade math classes. The program also incorporates strategies to help English language learner (ELL) students accelerate the development of academic English skills that they need to succeed in math courses.
Mission Possible (Middle School Science)
Mission Possible engages students in hands-on science to develop critical thinking and scientific problem-solving skills, and to make science fun!
Students track a dangerous scientist around the world to prevent his release of a deadly microorganism. On their virtual journey, they perform scientific investigations in biology, chemistry, physics, environmental science, and math that relate to the geographic areas where they follow the scientist.
ProPhone and the Environment
This project-based learning opportunity offers students inquiry-based activities and investigations in environmental science, biology, and math to solve a real-world problem.
Focus areas include student investigations in experimental design and analysis, soil and water testing, topographical maps, biodiversity, population growth, data collection, and mathematical analysis. The project culminates in student presentations to a panel of judges.