English Language Development (ELD)
AVID’s English Language Development (ELD) Summer Bridge provides middle and high school English language learners with an opportunity to engage in interactive and fun lessons that focus on academic language acquisition, community building, and school connectivity.
The content focuses on six learning target areas:
- Oral language
- Academic vocabulary
- Study skills
- Self-determination and leadership
During the AVID ELD Summer Bridge, scholars engage in interactive team-building activities that focus on developing a comfortable and connected scholarly community, while accelerating language acquisition and providing access to rigorous coursework.
AVID English Language Development (ELD) Summer Bridge
- Supports social and emotional learning and school connectivity
- Deepens students’ development of 21st century skills
- Provides research-based, highly effective instructional strategies for teachers
Digital Curriculum and Resources
Two 10-day sessions (4 hours per day) with lesson plans, presentation decks (PowerPoints and Google Slides), and handouts for each day
- Session 1 – We Are Scholars!
- Session 2 – We Are Leaders!
Virtual Professional Learning
A combination of self-paced and live-session professional learning supports the delivery of AVID ELD Summer Bridge while building teacher efficacy with EL-specific instructional design and delivery that accelerates language acquisition.