- The Scope of this Policy
- Agreement to Terms
- Effective Date and Changes to this Policy
- The Information We Collect
- How We Use Your Personal Information
- How We Share Your Personal Information
- Your Privacy Choices
- How We Store and Safeguard Your Information
- California Do-Not-Track Disclosures
- Links to Third Parties
- Canadian Users
- Contact Us
4. The Information We CollectThe types of personal information we may collect and process about you can include
- Personal Identifiers, including name, online identifier, internet protocol address, device id, email address, AVID membership account name and password, telephone number, billing and mailing address, date of birth, correspondence and chats, payment and/or bank details information;
- Internet or other electronic network activity information, including browsing history and search history, and information regarding your interaction with the Sites;
- Professional or employment-related information;
- Geolocation and other location information;
- Senior Data Forms information, including, for example, your participation in programs and testing, your native language, your participation in AVID and advanced courses, your grade point average, expected graduation date, colleges applied to and accepted in, your family educational and economic background, and future college and career plans;
- Education and skills;
- Characteristics of protected classifications, including, gender, ethnicity/race;
- Visual information, including photographs you can voluntarily upload on your account;
- Commercial information, including records of products or services purchased, obtained or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories;
- Tutor information, including your and
- Inferences, drawn from any information to understand your preferences and trends.
4.2 Device InformationWe may automatically collect certain information about the computer or devices (including mobile devices) you use to access the Sites. For example, we may collect and analyze information such as IP addresses, geolocation information, unique device identifiers and other information about your mobile phone or other mobile device(s), browser types, browser language, operating system, the state or country from which you accessed the Sites. In addition to analytical purposes, this information helps us diagnose problems with our server, administer the Sites, and display the content according to your preferences.
4.3 AnalyticsWe may also collect general information resulting from your activity on the Sites. This includes anonymous “traffic data” or aggregated tracking information, provided by the Sites’ host or similar providers of such information (e.g., Google Analytics), that does not personally identify you but may be helpful for promotional purposes or for improving the services that we offer. Analytics is the process of collecting, analyzing, and reporting aggregate data. This information may include which pages are visited, in what order the pages are visited, when a visitor or user accesses a page, how long they may stay on a particular page, and where they are located. It may also provide information about what browser, network, or device is used to visit the website. To learn more about Google Analytics and how to opt out, please visit www.google.com/analytics/learn/privacy.html and https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
4.4 A Note to Parents Regarding Children’s InformationAVID is committed to protecting the online privacy of children. The my.avid.org Site may collect limited personal information about minors who choose to serve as peer tutors for their school and/or school district, including name, email, telephone number, username and password, device information, and correspondence. However, we take children’s privacy seriously and we use this information only to facilitate the professional training for minors who elect to serve as peer tutors for their school and/or district. We encourage parents to play an active role in their children’s online experience at all times. If you have questions or concerns about the Internet and privacy for your child, we encourage you to contact us as provided below.
5. How We Use Your Personal InformationWe use or otherwise process your personal information to:
- Manage your membership with us;
- Respond to your inquiries or requests, administer contests, and request feedback;
- Provide goods or services requested by, or reasonably anticipated by, you;
- Provide you with relevant promotional materials or information about the organization, its products, its outcomes, and opportunities to get more involved;
- Analyze your reports and program evaluations;
- Host training events;
- Provide student-to-student tutoring connections;
- Analyze your use of our website;
- Detect security incidents and to protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity or prosecute those responsible; and
- Comply with legal requirements.
6. How We Share Your Personal InformationWe share your personal information with the following third parties, where applicable and to the extent permitted by applicable law:
- Advisers and financial institutions (legal, tax, auditors, risk and compliance, notaries, and business continuity support services);
- Service providers (IT outsourcing and assistance, membership management, email storage and management, payment processors, research and statistics, promotional support). In some instances, service providers will be directly responsible to you for their use of your personal information. They may be obliged by law to provide you with additional information regarding the personal information that they hold about you and how and why they process that information. Further information may be provided to you in a separate notice or may be obtained from such service providers directly, for example, via their websites;
- Other AVID users depending on your profile settings and posts on the MyAVID portal;
- Our Business partners including third parties with whom we collaborate to develop content and resources for educators teaching in a digital space;
- Where permitted by applicable laws, with third parties in connection with a corporate restructuring, sale, transfer or assignment of assets or business, merger, divestiture, or other changes to the company’s control or financial status (or any of our affiliates); and
- Government bodies and dispute resolution and law enforcement organizations
7. Your Privacy ChoicesIf you no longer want to receive our emails or other announcements, you may unsubscribe by writing to us at [email protected], select “Do Not Contact” in your user account, or following the instructions provided through the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of our emails. Please note that you cannot unsubscribe from certain correspondence from us, including transactional messages relating directly to your account. You can also view and amend some of your profile information, such as your name, address, phone number, job title, or email Please note, that when contacting us to view, amend, or delete any of your personal information, we will need to first verify your identity for security purposes.
8. How We Store and Safeguard Your InformationWe maintain reasonable technical and organisational measures to protect personal information from loss, misuse, alteration, or unintentional destruction. Your personal information is only accessible, on a need to know basis, by a limited number of employees who have special permissions. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your information as it is transmitted to us.
9. California Do-Not-Track DisclosuresAVID respects your privacy, but we do not alter the information we collect or change the Sites upon receiving “do-not-track” signals, as the term appears in Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code §§ 22575(b)(5). For more information about DNT signals, visit http://allaboutdnt.com.
10. Links to Third PartiesIn an attempt to provide increased value to our visitors, we may choose various third party websites (e.g., content publishers) to link to within the Sites. We have no control over these linked websites, each of which has separate privacy and data collection practices independent from us. As such, we have no responsibility or liability for these independent policies or actions, and are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of any such websites. These linked websites are only for your convenience and you therefore access them at your own risk.
11. Canadian UsersWe retain Personal Information for as long as you have an account with us in order to meet our contractual obligations to you and thereafter to identify any issues and resolve any potential legal proceedings. Please contact us at [email protected]:
- If you wish to access, update, and/or correct inaccuracies in your Personal Information or change your consent preferences (note: we may need to collect additional Personal Information for the purposes of verifying your identity before responding to your request);
- For information about how our foreign-based service providers process your Personal Information; or
- If you have any questions or complaints about the manner in which we treat your Personal Information.
Attn: AVID Care
9797 Aero Drive
San Diego, CA 92563