AVID Summer Institute transforms conceptual understandings into usable strategies that are intentional, purposeful, replicable, and lead to student success. Summer Institute brings educators together to learn how to implement engaging activities in their classrooms, raise their level of commitment to student success, and thereby produce a learning environment where all students are equipped to tackle complex issues, problems, and information. Your participation is contingent on access to AVID technology platforms and tools. Please review the checklist below to make sure that you have everything you need before starting your journey.
Before the Institute
- Note your scheduled dates and times.
Check your event dates and the daily schedule so that you know when your event is taking place.
- Ensure you are registered for the correct Community of Practice.
Refer to the Professional Learning Guide for all Community of Practice titles and descriptions.
- Complete your required eLearning Pre-Work.
As part of your AVID Summer Institute experience, all registrants are required to complete the eLearning Pre-Work prior to attending Summer Institute. Watch this video on how to access your Pre-Work. To ensure a seamless experience, follow the recommendations on this technology checklist.
- Log in to MyAVID, click the blue “My eLearning” button, and select the SI Pre-Work tile.
- You will have access to your pre-work 10 days before the start of your event.
- Access your Community of Practice course.
The Community or Practice eLearning course will be available two business days before the training, and registrants will receive a logistics email prior to the training.
- Plan to bring your own digital device and headphones to the Institute.
All professional learning requires participants to have their own, fully charged device or laptop that can connect to the Internet. Participants must bring an acceptable device, power cord, and earbuds/headphones with them to the Community of Practice. AVID Center will not be providing loaner devices for checkout, and there will be a limited number of power charging stations available. If a district-issued device is being used, be sure to log in to the device on the district network before attending. Device software and preferred web browsers (Chrome or Firefox) need to be up to date. It is highly recommended that participants have both browsers on their device prior to attending the training. Acceptable devices include laptops, Chromebooks, Surface devices, and iPad Pros. Unacceptable devices include iPad minis, iPads, Kindle or Galaxy tablets, and smartphones.
- Request Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) support, if needed.
If you require special devices, have medically necessary dietary restrictions, or need assistance per ADA guidelines, please submit your request at least 2 weeks before the Institute starts.
During the Institute
- Be Informed
We are offering one optional pre-session for Summer Institute participants the day before Summer Institute begins: AVID 101.
- Site Teams
Site Teams will be an integral part of the summer professional learning experience. Review the daily schedule for Site Team meeting times. For more information, see AVID Site Team Overview and Resources page.
- General Session
On Day 2 of your Summer Institute, you won’t want to miss the General Session, where everyone comes together to hear inspiring stories from real AVID students and educators.
- Have Fun!
Time for a Scavenger Hunt!
AVID has partnered with Goosechase to create a digital scavenger hunt to help you build community with fellow participants. The special code that you will need to join the game is available in your Pre-Work eLearning course. Your first mission starts in the Pre-Work course and continues with new missions each day of AVID Summer Institute. The top five winners from each SI will receive a special prize from the MyAVIDStore. Follow these directions.
After the Institute
- In order to receive your Digital Badge, you must complete the following:
At the conclusion of your Summer Institute course, you will find a link to an Exit Survey in your course module. Please take the time to complete it. Your feedback is essential and helps AVID create relevant and meaningful professional development sessions for partners.
- Submit all daily feedback forms, the SI End of Professional Learning Participant Reflection form, and the SI Exit Survey before the end of the last training day. Your feedback is essential and helps AVID create relevant and meaningful professional development sessions for partners.
- Attend all sessions and actively engage in the course activities. 100% attendance is required.
- Once you have completed all your feedback, you will need to open the Accessing Your AVID Summer Institute Digital Badge page in order to trigger the badging process. Please allow 24 hours for your badge email to be sent and for your badge to become available. The Digital Badge can be shared with others to confirm successful completion of the course. Badges can be added to email signatures, portfolios, and social media accounts.
- Get information on university credit.
Other Important Information
- AVID Rest Assured Policy
View the Rest Assured Policy for important information about cancellation deadlines and AVID’s refund policy.
- AVID Center Event Code of Conduct
AVID Center is committed to having a friendly, safe, and welcoming environment for all attendees. If you are subjected to unacceptable behavior, notice that someone else is being subjected to unacceptable behavior, or have any other concerns, please contact AVID Care as soon as possible. View more information about AVID Center’s Event Code of Conduct policy.
There are several ways to pay for your registration(s). Visit the Payments page for payment options and requirements.
- AVID Media Release
By attending AVID face-to-face or online events, you grant to AVID and its legal representatives, agents, licensees, and assigns, the right and permission to use, publish, sell, and license videos, pictures, written work, or recordings of you or in which you may be included, in whole or in part, without restriction, in conjunction with your own or fictitious name, in any and all media now or hereafter known for any purpose whatsoever, and you waive any right of publicity, copyright, or other intellectual property right from the aforementioned use.
- AVID System Status Dashboard for System Outages
When using any technology platforms and tools, there are always risks of technical issues. We do not anticipate any major technical outages, but if we experience any outages, we will notify you of the outage via our AVID System Status page.
- If you are experiencing technical difficulties, please contact 1-833-AVID-CARE (1-833-284-3227).
- Still Have Questions?
Contact the AVID Care team or call (833) 284-3227.