AVID Center Event Code of Conduct
AVID Center is committed to providing an environment that is truly open for all. We are committed to having a friendly, safe, and welcoming environment for all attendees, AVID and venue staff, sponsors, media, volunteers, organizers, speakers, and other guests, regardless of, but not limited to, their actual or perceived race (including traits historically associated with race, such as hair texture and protective hairstyles), religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, national origin (including language use and possession of a driver's license issued to persons unable to prove that their presence in the United States is authorized under federal law), ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status (including registered domestic partnership status), sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), gender, gender identity and expression (including transgender individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they identify), age (40 or over), sexual orientation, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, immigration status, an individual’s reproductive health decisions, or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.
Expected behavior includes, but is not limited to:
- Be considerate, respectful, inclusive, and collaborative.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior, materials, and speech.
- Alert event organizers if you notice a dangerous or inappropriate situation or someone in distress, including conduct that appears to be harassment under this policy.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants. Limit any distractions or interruptions from your personal environment or by unregistered guests that may be heard by or impact others.
- Please consider that many venues are shared with members of the public, so please be respectful to all patrons of these locations.
Unacceptable behavior and materials for all events include, but are not limited to:
- Intimidating, bullying, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory, or demeaning materials or conduct displayed by any attendees of the event and related event activities.
- Any boisterous, lewd, or offensive behavior, imagery, or language, including, but not limited to, using sexually explicit or offensive language, materials, or conduct, or any language, behavior, or content that contains profanity, obscene gestures, or racial, religious, or ethnic slurs.
- Video or audio recording, dissemination, or publication of lectures or other course materials without the express written consent of AVID Center.
- Inviting (or allowing) unregistered guests to attend the session.
Unacceptable behavior and materials for in-person events include, but are not limited to:
- Possession of any item that can be used as a weapon, which may cause danger to others if used in a certain manner.
- Possession of any open can, bottle, or other receptacle containing an alcoholic beverage during convention schedule hours. Please drink responsibly.
- Possession of any illegal substance, including, but not limited to, narcotics, marijuana (whether medical or recreational), or other illegal drugs. AVID Center does not tolerate the use or abuse of illegal substances.
- Smoking—other than in designated areas.
- Assembling for the purpose of, or resulting in, disturbing the peace, or committing any unlawful act or engaging in any offensive behavior.
- Failure to obey any rules or regulations of the venue.
- Bringing children and/or unregistered guests into professional learning rooms.
Offensive comments (verbal, written, or otherwise) associated with race or characteristics associated with race (e.g., comments about hair texture and protective hairstyles), color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), gender, gender identity and gender expression (including transgender individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they identify), sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, immigration status, an individual’s reproductive health decisions, or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law; inappropriate use of nudity and/or sexual images in public spaces; deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following; harassing materials, photography, or recording; sustained disruption of talks or other events (whether verbal or otherwise); inappropriate or unwelcome physical contact; and unwelcome sexual attention.
Consequences of unacceptable behavior:
- Unacceptable behavior will not be tolerated whether by other attendees, media, speakers, volunteers, organizers, venue staff, or sponsors.
- Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
- If a participant engages in unacceptable behavior, the event organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from the event without warning or refund.
What to do if you witness or are subjected to unacceptable behavior:
If you are subjected to unacceptable behavior, notice that someone else is being subjected to unacceptable behavior, or have any other concerns, please notify an event organizer or staff member as soon as possible. All reports will remain confidential to the greatest possible extent.
For in-person events, staff will be available to help participants contact venue security or local law enforcement, or to otherwise assist those experiencing unacceptable behavior to feel safe for the duration of the event. You can report unacceptable behavior to any staff member. Staff can be found at the on-site Help and Info Desk, or you may contact AVID Center at the email address or phone number below.
AVID Center Human Resources
We expect all conference participants (staff, sponsors, media, volunteers, speakers, organizers, venue staff, attendees, and other guests) to abide by this code of conduct at all conference venues and conference-related social events.
The above policies may be revised at any time by AVID Center and are nonnegotiable.