Lesson Plans to Develop Critical Reading Skills in All Students
AVID Weekly® and AVID® Elementary Weekly: Literacy Connections Schoolwide provide teachers with ready-to-go lessons that bring disciplinary literacy to life in every classroom so every student can be college-, career-, and life-ready.
Flexible critical reading lessons apply across all content areas and support college and career readiness, career technical education (CTE), and student agency learning goals. Texts, including infographics, images, and videos from sources such as Washington Post, Highlights for Children, Inc., and The Associated Press, engage students in relevant topics, helping them to make connections between prior knowledge and current learning. Readability levels help support the right level of rigor for each student, and AVID’s WICOR® methodology weaves Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading together to foster critical thinking and deeper learning.
That Engage and Challenge Students Across Disciplines
AVID Weekly and AVID Elementary Weekly are curriculum resources that employ AVID’s critical reading strategies to bring disciplinary literacy to life.
- Flexible lessons include optional blended learning opportunities and support.
- Texts for secondary (grades 5–12) indicate readability levels by both grade band category and Lexile® level.
- Texts for elementary (grades PreK–8) indicate readability level by grade band category.
- Web-based, easy-to-access lessons are published monthly.
- At least one ELL (English language learner) lesson is included each month.
- Enjoy access to both the current and preceding year’s lessons.