Ready-to-Go Lesson Plans for STEM
How can we prepare students to be thoughtful and skilled problem solvers ready for careers of the future?
Students in our K–12 classrooms today will have career opportunities we cannot even imagine! While we may not exactly know what those jobs will be, it is likely they will be related to STEM disciplines.
All students need to be introduced to STEM experiences at an early age to build the foundation they will need for future careers. Most careers will require people to think critically and creatively, to collaborate with others, and to solve real-world problems.
AVID STEM Connections® offers lesson plans and ancillary materials to support teachers and students, making it easy to incorporate STEM experiences into daily classroom activities across content areas for grades K–12.
About This Experience
Prepares students to be lifelong problem solvers and critical thinkers
AVID STEM Connections helps students develop their skills as universal problem solvers in any academic discipline, field of study, or real-world challenge. Lessons are based on the 5E instructional model. This model shifts the instruction to a student-centered approach while moving systematically through five intentional phases: engage, explore, explain, elaborate, and evaluate.
Lessons are designed in accordance to national standards: Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), Common Core State Standards (CCSS), and International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE).
AVID STEM Connections Outcomes
- Develop problem-solving and computational thinking skills
- Introduce STEM-career awareness to K-12 students
- Build STEM literacy through:
- Multidisciplinary activities
- Multimodal instruction
- Standards-based connections
- Global problem-solving focus (UN Sustainable Development Goals)
- Foster discovery, exploration, and curiosity
- Awareness of the global UN Sustainable Development Goals
What Makes AVID STEM Connections Special?
- Design thinking as a cross-disciplinary instrumental approach to problem solving
- Inclusion of social and emotional learning (SEL) and future-ready skills
- Integration of AVID’s WICOR® (Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading) strategies
- Learning experiences integrating critical thinking and future-ready skills across content areas
- Scaffolded lessons for teachers new to STEM, and for those who want to improve their STEM instruction
Frequently Asked Questions
AVID STEM Connections offers students the chance to see the world through the lens of a STEM mindset as they communicate new ideas, think critically about real-world problems and concepts, and collaborate with peers to generate new creative and innovative solutions that are tied to content.
Each lesson found within AVID STEM Connections will clearly denote the standards that each lesson corresponds to from a common list of national standards.
AVID STEM Connections is targeted to align with with concepts and skills that are currently being taught in classrooms across the United States. Students will be exposed to new resources and strategies while applying the knowledge and skills gained in traditional classroom instruction in new, application-based ways.
The future-ready skills are embedded throughout the K–12 AVID STEM Connections within each lesson and mini-lesson.
There are many opportunities for collaboration within the lessons provided for each month. The lessons provide specific strategies educators can use in a face-to-face, virtual, or hybrid classroom with recommendations on digital tools that can be integrated to bring these strategies to life online.
Each lesson offers options for teaching remotely or teaching in person.
Students will hone their skills in Claims, Evidence, and Reasoning while assisting with reading comprehension skills including the ability to understand charts, graphs, and infographics. In addition, students will learn how to apply problem-solving strategies to writing research papers and practice their writing skills across multiple modalities.